Thursday, March 31, 2011

Changing the Question

Never do we hear more about God than when tragedy strikes; never does God seem more real to so many than when "bad" things happen. "How could God let this happen?" is the question that comes from people who might have claimed atheism yesterday and acknowledge God today. Our whole beings are shaken. We face a complex mixture of emotion: shock, anger, disbelief. We seek hope, comfort, and peace. When hurricanes, earthquakes, and tsunamis come, leaving paths of destruction behind, we want someone or something to blame. Why, God? "It's a natural response to having out sense of justice trifled with. The problem might be our sense of justice. The problem might be the question." (1)

For me, the question isn't about how God could let bad things happen (because I will never understand the mind of God while I live on this earth), but rather how do I live a life where trouble and tragedy will come? How do I move forward, knowing that I will be stopped in my tracks again and again? That death and tragedy WILL come? Give yourself permission to wrestle with God; ask the questions and listen for the answers.

"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in times of trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change,
though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea;
though its waters roar and foam,
though the mountains tremble with its tumult"
(Psalm 46:1-3).


Take a deep breath.
Step back.
Let go of the panic.
"Be still and know that I am God!" (Psalm 46:10).
Listen.
Repeat.

As you listen, you may not hear the answers you are hoping for. You may just feel the peace arrive. the peace that is the presence of God, reminding you (reminding ME) that God is present in the tragedies all around. At the moment we need it, God will be faithful.


"Let us therefore approach the throne of grace with boldness,
so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need"
(Hebrews 4:16).


God does not leave us to deal with tragedy alone. How could this have happened? I don't know. How will I move on? I will move as God is with me as my refuge and strength, filled with mercy and grace in my time of need.


(1) Bonnie Thurston, "The Wrong Question." Weavings, Volume XXVI: 2, 15.

No comments: