Sunday, January 24, 2010

Cardamom Bread


Because sometimes you just HAVE to have it ... like this morning ... is there anything better than a fresh, warm loaf of cardamom bread for breakfast?

Cardamom Bread Recipe (for the bread machine)

1-1/2 lb loaf (2 lb loaf)
3/4 cup (1 cup) evaporated milk
1/4 cup (1/4 cup) water
1 (1) egg
2 Tablespoons (3 Tablespoons) butter, cut up
3 cups (4 cups) bread flour
1/3 cup (1/2 cup) sugar
3/4 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) salt
3/4 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) ground cardamom (freshly ground is best, and I make my spoons heaping)
1 teaspoon (1-1/4 teaspoon) bread machine yeast

Put ingredients in pan in the order listed.
Bake with basic white cycle in the machine.

I mix my dough in the bread machine, then braid it and bake it (because I am rather Swedish like that), with pearl sugar sprinkled on top. I usually bake 2 batches of the 2-lb loaf ('cuz that is 1 can of evaporated milk), make 2 loaves out of each batch, and freeze 3 braided loaves. If I set a frozen loaf on the counter, it is thawed and risen by the next morning and ready for baking. Unless the dog eats it first. But that has only happened once.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! It's a blogging bonanza! Two posts in three days. I love it!