Thursday, July 23, 2009

Food Sensitivities

As you probably know, Vanya is a VERY active boy. Very. Active. Boy. To say it nicely. We have struggled over the past year and a half with his anger and extreme mood swings and constant motion. With all the adjustment and attachment, it is something that we have just rather lived with. Survived, really.

But a few weeks ago, after he went out for the day and had a snack, he was extreme even for Vanya. And it is hard to say that. I wonder, is it me (Karin)? Is it my lack of patience and my stress that he is feeding off of? But after I found out WHAT he ate, I started researching food additives and the effect on children. What I learned, astounded me. I read a list of behaviors and started to freak out - oh! my! WORD! Vanya has been there on the pages! So while yes, I am a frustrated and stressed mommy, our FOOD may be making a difference.

SO, we have started the Feingold program (www.feingold.org) to see what sensitivities Vanya (and all of us) may have. I believe that he is sensitive to artificial food dyes (a bottle of "Bug Juice" and M&M's will make him rather crazy). Today is the third or fourth day that we have been serious about it. Thankfully, it is not a RADICAL shift in our diet. He barely knows we are doing it. But there are definite changes. Especially for now. No tomatoes, pickles, or apples. Those will be the big changes for him, but those are foods that we may be able to add back in after we determine what things we need to avoid.

The past two nights, he has told me "Today was a good day". Nothing was special about either day. Didn't go anywhere special, didn't do anything greatly fun. I didn't really think the days were all that great myself. When I asked what was good, he told me he felt good. Huge. And his behavior has been calmer - no quick mood swings, no slamming doors, no screams of frustration.

Today for lunch, we went out to eat. Not sure what to order for him, I got Macaroni and Cheese. As soon as I saw it, I knew there was food dye in it. No cheese is that color orange! But let's try it, eh? We ate. Had a quiet afternoon with a movie (Thor fell and has gained quite a goose egg so he was mellow but we wanted him to stay awake). Went outside to play. In a matter of 2 hours, Vanya acted out to the point of being in "time-out" 3 times. Yelling, pushing, hitting, naughty words. Screams and cries when Thor splashed water on him. Drama, drama, drama. The boy we have lived with for months now.

SOOOOO . . . back to the diet tomorrow. With more close attention to what we can eat when we go out. And continued interest in how his behavior may change (or not change) as the weeks go on.

No comments: