We went through last night and noted all of Vanya's behaviors on the Feingold list - behaviors that can potentially be helped. 31. 31 different "symptoms" of the chemically sensitive person. So we have started keeping a food and behavior diary to see if there are any correlations that we can see. We have also eliminated "smells" in the house, colored toothpaste and soap, and several other non-food items from our house.
This is a pain. A PAIN. I spent SEVERAL hours at the grocery stores (yes, storeS) with a list and a book of "safe" foods and still didn't get everything. But it is getting easier to eat at home, knowing that we have plenty of foods that he can eat without thought. But then we leave the house ... out to eat, to the zoo, to visit family. And it is SO much harder again. Thankfully, Vanya is starting to understand that there are foods that he is "allergic" to and that make him feel bad and do naughty things. Since I am lactose intolerant, he can understand that sometimes Mama WANTS to eat ice cream but CAN'T because it will make her sick. And we are trying to help him understand the same thing with his foods.
The greater challenge now is that some of the foods we have been avoiding, namely high fructose corn syrup, is "allowed" on the Feingold diet. And it is not something that I want to add back in. Too many unknowns. Too connected to diabetes and obesity. As we also learn more about child traffiking and its connection to chocolate, that is becoming a struggle since there are a number of not-fair-trade chocolates that are REAL chocolate and thus safe for Vanya to eat.
Sadly, companies are not required to list ALL ingredients on labels. Sometimes, a chemical is sprayed on a food (such as nuts or cereal) to keep it from sticking to the packaging. Canned foods are also prone to this.
All right ... more later ... maybe a list of what we are avoiding for the next four weeks? Fascinating reading, I know. I read everynight before I fall asleep :)
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Sorry, long post, but I don't have your email address. So in keeping w/ the food theme of your post, but NOT sticking to the diet AND appealing to your love of a bargain....on August 30th at all Famous Dave's, anyone with the first name Dave, David or Davy gets a free meal up to $15. Anyone with the middle name gets half off, up to $7.50. Hmmm...so either it is a cheap date for you two or you bring the kids and you get Vanya's meal and they get kids meals (probably loaded with things not on the Feingold list) or you can get take out, but you have to have a govt. issued paper with Vanya and/or Dave's legal names on them (a license is fine)and Vanya would have to be with Dave during the food p/u). I'm just looking out for a fellow bargaineer!! Have a great day, Karin!!
Post a Comment